Tuesday 8 November 2011

The slash people

I remember having always faced kind of a dilemma since I was young. I always had a hard time when dealing with the question: “are you this, or that?” Of course that when it comes to children, they don’t really pronounce so clearly the need to decide. But always when I would get to a reading book club at school with my posh outfit I would get that look: “so, are you preppy or smart after all”? Probably most of you faced similar things, or maybe not, but as I grew up the questions became more and more strong: so, are you more into history or into maths? An academic or corporative? Communication studies or anthropology? When I finally got to London the question was: So, which department are you from, social anthropology or material culture? “Well, I am kind of both. You see, my first supervisor is from material culture and my second is from social anthropology, and my thesis kind of stays in the in-between”.


Mary Douglas (a very important anthropologist) probably would say that the human being need those kind of classifications – maps to understand how to deal with life – and that’s why people are so against the in-between, what she would call “dirty”. Those maps are classifications that separate one thing from the other and, therefore, make things understandable. Those are “frames” that put each set of things into a different box. And I acknowledge that, as I mentioned in the second post of this blog, we need the frames and so, the separations that they imply. But I just cannot avoid my passion for the “in-between”. For something that is between one frame and the other, one classification and the other. And a few weeks ago, I got what I needed.


One of my PhD mattes was challenged by the same question that I was: So, are you from social anthropology or material culture? “Well I am social anthropology slash material culture”. My eyes sparkled! Is that an answer? Can I say that? Slash something else? And I realised how often they do this here. For example, if you don’t understand an Indian dish, one might say: well, this is a yogurt/drink (yogurtslashdrink), a bread/pancake (breadslashpancake). Or, if you don’t know a place, they might say it’s a pub/restaurant (pubslashrestaurant).

Not so surprising to see that in London. After all, that’s the city where nobody is English but everybody is half Greek/half Danish, half Indian/half American, half French/half Japanese, etc. That’s actually what they answer if you ask them their nationality. And do you know the funniest thing? Mary Douglas was a professor at my school!! The slash people school!! Maybe London has changed, maybe not…

Anyway I am already using it. So… Nice to meet you, I am an anthropologist/consultant/teacher/translator/something else that I am still finding out. And that’s not because I cannot figure out myself but because where you see difference, I see connection. Where you see separation, I see communication. 


                                            Another slash thing: House/school/screen
Jeremy Rifkin lecture 'The Third Industrial Revolution’
The lecture was projected on to the AA building. 
To see more: http://www.aaschool.ac.uk
Photos: TS




6 comments:

  1. Amiga querida,

    Li seu post ouvindo essa música e me deu uma vontade de compartilhar com você... primeiro, para que você possa ouvir um pouco de música brasileira (será que já está com saudade?) e, segundo, porque achei que o post e a música falam de uma liberdade muito boa de ser ter e crer.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8SfDZ65A0o

    beijos,
    Sylvia Medeiros

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amigaaaa Sylvia, adorei!! tem mais??
    Por incrível que pareça, tenho ouvido muita música brasileira. O Thiago é louco por Caetano e Joao Gilberto, e tá me alfabetizando hahahahha.
    Gosta dessa? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4badb1qMhjs
    mais rocknroll ne...

    Fora isso, surpreendentemente, estou numa fase Mallu Magalhaes: "pode falar que eu não ligo, agora amigo, eu to em outra. Eu to ficando velha, eu to ficando louca"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V17wPKENB4

    Manda mais!!!!
    bjsss
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amiga! Amo as duas músicas, Eu sou Neguinha, um clássico... E, quanto à Mallu, devo confessar que estou encantada com o disco novo, comprei e ouço direto!

    Vou tentar "responder" seus posts com música, pode ser divertido :)

    Por enquanto, vamos com mais essa, numa referência obviamente geográfica :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65N_1eSkKWg

    Saudades, Beijos
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. London, London...essa vai virar trilha sonora hehehehe!!! sensacional essa sua proposta! Eu entro com palavras e vc com música, FECHADO! xx Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol!!
    Super me identifiquei com esse post/desabafo!
    Me formei em direito onde cada um ou é criminalista, civilista, advogado de familia, trabalhista etc. Isso sempre me incomdou porque nao me encaixava em nenhuma das áreas. Até que descobri que além dessas existem outras como direitos humanos que me encantou justamente por não ser só mais uma area do direito, mas sim uma mistura que envolve politica, sociologia etc. E me sinto cada vez mais distante do direito e mais próxima das ciências sociais pensando em partir para um doutorado em ciencia politicas, sociologia ou quem sabe antropologia :)
    O legal é perceber e deixar para trás os rótulos pré moldados e se assumir na complexidade que somos, e que cada dia acrescentamos mais uma camada ou mais um slash na nossa descrição e concluir que na verdade somos um "eu" único no mundo! e ficar muito feliz com isso :) Que venham mais "slashs".
    Outro comentário: Eu também morando fora passei a ouvir mais música brasileira e a conhecer e estudar mais sobre o Brasil, engraçado ne? Tenho um amigo aqui fanatico por MPB e todo dia me manda uma, a de ontem foi essa do Caetano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbg8XNSzBZ4&feature=related

    Super beijos!!
    Ce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me identifiquei completamente, tanto pelo lado profissional, quanto pelo lado sexual, enfim, sempre tive dificuldade com a classificação, principalmente de pessoas. A classificação simplifica mas limita, empobrece. Também sou a favor das conexões.
    "Slash". Adotei.
    E falando em slash e em música brasileira, porque não Caetano cantando Michael? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPOqE7k56nc
    =)
    Besos!

    ReplyDelete