Tuesday 11 September 2012

All we need is love?


Be shocked if you wish, but I must be sincere and confess something: I was never a big fan of The Beatles (if you are thinking about giving up the text now, acknowledge the fact that my courage to admit it, knowing the implications of such statement, is bold enough to deserve some respect. Would you keep reading?). The reason is that I had never met The Beatles. Of course I heard the songs, of course I knew the lyrics, and many details about the band... But there hasn’t been the moment where their music would express what my mouth couldn’t. It hadn’t really “spoke” to me yet. Maybe the social pressure for loving The Beatles had the opposite impact on me... the obligation to love already corrupted my understanding of what love is. To not love them was a necessary step to found myself in love with them. So, just aged 26 I finally met the Beatles. I must say I was quite curious to meet those four boys that so many people talked about. What would they have done that was so amazing? Everything, my friend told me. So there I was, very excited about watching the video clip as it were the first time, believe it or not.
 “All you need is love” plays the song, but actually I will dare to disagree. For me what is amazing about the Beatles is not that they stated how much love is important – deep down we all know that. What we don’t know is how to recognize love. And that was their difference. Everything could become music about love. To The Beatles love really was everywhere. And the ability to see that was their accomplishment… People love us everyday, through a sincere look, through a shy hug, through a trustful tear, and yet we miss it all the time. We miss the struggle of a people to succeed, the drama of a mum to educate and of a son to communicate. We do it because we are so busy trying to find our love that we miss their love, the only way that they know how to do it. By looking for love we miss love. By looking for something that we want we miss what we get and everyday we neglect love. What we all need is to see love… the stunning wisdom of recognizing it even when it comes in the most awkward forms, from the most unexpected people, in the most trivial situations. So what I wish for me and for you is to stop looking for it and “Let it be…” love.




No comments:

Post a Comment